Wednesday 6 July 2016

From the sewing room


This was finished quite a while back. A big machine quilting project. I've seen lots of 'super-sized' blocks, and I've long admired the bold 'colourfield' style amish quilts, so decided to give this idea a try. Not bad...not brilliant, but not bad. 



Making this was quite an insight into whole-cloth quilting - I'd hoped to make it quicker and easier by using the machine, but it was jolly hard work and I'm not entirely convinced that it was worth it: but that has more to do with my choice of quilting design than anything else, as well as inexperience and the difficulties of quilting large pieces on a domestic machine. Still, I've developed a new fondness for patterned fabric and the associated camouflaging properties!

Here's the back. 



Here is the little white-on-white. 



And this is another go at the 'origami fold-map cushion' design, with hand embroidered label. Quilting design is the fold-map pattern of the flapping bird 'logo' on the tab.


No comments: