Saturday 6 May 2017

bit of painting

As per usual, blog posting has fallen by the wayside. But, after finally getting round to pursuing the urge to do a bit of painting after many (many many many) years of not, I thought it might be a thing to post about my few efforts to date.

It started with wanting to make a birthday gift for my sister, who likes birds, owls in particular. Our mum was a bit of an owl fan. I finally got round to actually doing it, and it worked out ok.




Then somebody expressed serious interest in having a set. I did these and they've gone to their new home.



Then I did a dead daff. I love those plain and unassuming bunches of tightly furled spring daffodils, it's a simple and enchanting magic as they unwrap themselves - often overnight - and then you know that winter won't last much longer, that spring is gathering pace. I'm a complete sucker for a bunch of flowers, and I love it when they go over too, when the petals start drooping, dropping, and drying to an incredibly delicate tissue.




A comment from my son and others prompted me to have a bit of a read about botanical illustration - which has given me plenty of food for thought. As a result, I had a bit of a go at a pair of pears - they seem to be a favourite subject for botanical style watercolour.



And then I had a go at some grapes.



And then an apple. A cheap, un-named eater. I had a few cards printed up, just to see how well it might translate. No frills, but not necessarily bad either. 



That's it for now - so far, so good I guess!













No comments: