Sunday 27 March 2016

Experiments


So this is an idea I was messing around with and put aside for a while.




It's a cushion - obviously! But I wonder how many people will know where I got inspiration for the quilting from?

Let me give you a clue:



Any guesses? OK, I'll tell you.

That little bit of embroidery there...that's supposed to be a flapping bird origami model. More precisely it is an illustration, rendered in hand embroidery, of a flapping bird origami model.

And the quilting pattern is the 'fold map' of a flapping bird origami model. A 'fold map' is what you will see if you make an origami model, and then 'unfold' it back to a flat piece of paper.

Here is a full size pic of the pink (and original) version:


This was a cushion, but I took it apart as I had a few 'engineering issues' with binding and inserting zips and making it all look nice and neat and professional.

I actually had a particular person in mind when I did this, but felt that it wasn't quite up to snuff. 

It's not an entirely bad idea, so I think it's time to re-visit this and do some more. Plus, apart from the little illustration, it's a machine sewing job: I've been doing a lot of hand-quilting lately and while I love the result - as I have so recently waxed lyrical about - there is no getting away from the fact that it is slow and time consuming. So, the idea of whipping up a pile of cushion covers double-quick definitely has a certain appeal. 

(And that person I'd originally intended to make it for might just find themselves in possession of a nice squooshy cushion before too long)

No comments: