Saturday 30 January 2016

The dull, the neutral, and the pastel


I really wanted to use up some of my less promising scraps - dull colours: a thin 'institutional' pastel green, some large pre-cut squares in a not-quite-yellow-not-quite-cream, and something that can only be described as being a decidedly 'elastoplast-y hue.

A rather uninspiring palette for sure. But by adding the leftover squares from the brightly coloured cot quilts, I pulled off this.


It's an unassuming little number: but I think it may be my favourite make so far. The most basic version of log cabin possible: easy, quick and very satisfying to piece.

I just really like how even the most unappealing and uninspiring of 'waste' materials can become rather lovely, given enough thought/the right context/luck.

I liked it so much that I hand-quilted it. The back is pieced in a light-weight striped ticking, and it measures 68 x 80 cm.



PS: the quilt in the background is in progress - a single bed sized log cabin number: pieced, sandwiched, won't be too long. 

No comments: