Tuesday 13 September 2011

Summit Scarf

Just a quick pic of the Summit Scarf in progress. I had a bit of panic when I realised I needed more yarn to match, having started it with an odd ball that I picked up a while ago.  It was in the odds and ends bin, and was so lovely I couldn't resist. It's Rowan Cashsoft 4ply in Bluebottle....it was the name of the colour that threw me as this looks to me like a teal or peacock or kingfisher kind of blue. The name they've chosen doesn't say any of those things to me, it makes me think of that sharp, singing navy blue glass you sometimes get in old pharmeceutical bottles. Still, on reflection, bluebottle flies do have that lovely petrol-y rainbow mix on them. Plus I like the idea of naming colours after things that are not immediately attractive in their association - like calling neutral putty coloured paint colours 'cardboard' or 'plaster' or 'rodent grey'. I love this, it has that soft, rich, intense saturation of colour that I really like. Anyway, I ended up guessing the match, having dropped by the yarn dept at my local John Lewis, and having a very entertaining exchange with the sales girl. Not a perfect match but barely noticeable.

This is unblocked, and looks a bit of a mess, but it feels gorgeously soft and smooth, and I think the pattern with that rhythmic rippling suits the yarn really well. Blocking is not a process I'm very familiar with, I may just give it a gentle steamy press. All I need now is a nice stitch to finish either end of the scarf; something just to neaten up the long strands of the drops or something lacy-ish perhaps...maybe something i-cord-y..... Any ideas? 

No comments: