Sunday 24 April 2016

Stringing along

I've been saving up for a while to have a go at a string quilt. These babies are at the serious end of make-do-and-mendville, and I love 'em. I  really love that you can take a pile of random, mixed-up, pretty-much-any-old left over off-cuts, and turn them into something really surprising and groovy and exciting to look at.

Like this...



I haven't tried to impose too much order on the process, so I guess this is a wonky string quilt. But I really like the 'life' it has because of the off-kilter look. In fact, the piecing of the actual blocks is pretty good, but I didn't go crazy making sure the strong-brights met the soft-lights bang across the diagonals, and deliberately used different width 'strings'; so it has quite a lot of unplanned visual movement.


It was really fun to make - so far anyway! Tbis is just the top: they always look so nice and crisp at the stage that it almost seems a shame to quilt them. Maybe I'll keep the quilting to a minimum, or even 'tie' it instead. 

If you don't know, string quilts are often (not always but mostly) made using a base block onto which the strings are sewn. What that means is the top is already two layers of fabric thick, along with all the seams. Adding a layer of batting plus a back makes for quite a heavy, bulky finish...so I might just use something light, soft, and cuddlesome instead. 

The trouble is, there are still left-overs when you're done making a quilt out of leftovers. A whole bag full...


There's really only way place left to go with scraps this small, and that's the postage stamp quilt, which, if you're really serious, you make with 1" squares. Here's a modern one I really like by Lynne Dykstra



I'm not entirely sure I'm quite ready for making one of these...it's a full-on, long term commitment to a whole lot of cutting and piecing, even if you use a smarty-pants method (of which there are several - that's a whole other post though). But it's an idea that's been lurking for a while, so I guess, eventually I won't be able to resist...and let's face it, hoarding of scraps is pretty much second nature to me these days so I suppose it's inevitable. Any how, at least the fancy new sewing machine is getting plenty of exercise.







No comments: